Dr FerewFeyissa is a Public Health Physician (MD, MPH), with a PhD in Public Health Nutrition from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Dr Ferew has worked in various capacities in higher education teaching/ learning, health service delivery and management, as well as research. He has served as a Deputy Head of Regional Health Bureau, Assistant Professor of Nutrition and Planning and Program Officer at Jimma University, as well as a Senior Research Fellow at London South Bank University.
Since 2010, Dr Ferew has been serving as a Senior Nutrition Advisor to the Minister, Ministry of Health, Ethiopia. Between 2014 and 2018 he also served as an Advisor to the (former) First Lady of Ethiopia.
In addition, Dr Ferew has (held) the following responsibilities:
• Focal person for Ethiopia for the UN Scaling Up Nutrition Movement.
• Oct 2020 – present: Board of Trustee – Emergency Nutrition Network
• Co-chair (2014-2016) and member (2014- now) of the Global Nutrition Report Executive Committee and Steering Group.
• 2016 – Present: member of the Council for Research and Technical Advice on Acute Malnutrition (CORTASAM).
• 2016 – Present: Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) Partnership Council Member